“the role and functions of the Health and Safety Representative in a NZ workplace”
This online initial training course for Health and Safety Representatives covers Unit Standard 29315. You can undertake this work flexibly and remotely to fit in around other commitments.
This course has been designed for:
- Any employee elected or appointed as a health and safety representative
- Managers who want to fully understand the role of the representative in their workplace.
- Staff within an organisation who wish to improve safety in the workplace through sound safety systems.
What we offer:
This health and safety representative training course equips health and safety representatives (HSRs) with the skills to promote a safer, healthier place of work. It will empower health and safety representatives (HSRs) with effective training and support to fulfill their responsibilities and duties. All workers are entitled to safe workplaces and practices and education is key to unlocking the door to safer and healthier workplaces. When workers are trained in workplace health and safety, they become empowered to apply health and safety measures. Book a course today.
A course graduate will be able to explain and demonstrate the overall role and functions of a Health and Safety Representative in a New Zealand workplace. This course will provide HSRs with the knowledge and skills to address and manage issues raised by workers.
They will also be permitted to issue provisional improvement notices (PINs) and direct unsafe work to cease.
Upon completion of our course, health and safety representatives (HSR) will be able to:
- explain the role and functions of a HSR under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- explain the role of a HSR as an advocate for workers;
- identify the obligations of a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) and WorkSafe New Zealand towards a health and safety representative
- understand and describe the risk management process and role of clear communication with workers and management
- identify hazards, significant hazards and serious harm in relation to Health & Safety at Work Act 2015 and implement control measures.
- understand use of the hazard register and its advantages in managing risk.
- understand legislative requirements of incidents and accidents including leaders’ role’ immediately following an incident.
- understand the investigation process including, post incident, data collection, analysis and prevention.
- describe and demonstrate the powers and obligations that a health and safety representative has in terms of issuing a provisional improvement notice (PIN) and how and when to direct a worker to cease unsafe work.
The health and safety representative course is available online or delivered by one of our industry expert tutors. Our online course is comprehensive and includes video scenarios and animated content to explain key concepts, so trainees can relate what they are learning to real-life situations. The Besafe Training team is committed to helping you gain certification and will work with you to help you complete the course satisfactorily. Our assessor is on stand-by (during office hours) for any support as you work through the course.
Changes in the Health and Safety at Work Act regulations substantially increased the importance and authority of Health and Safety Representatives, making this course a must. Learning from this course is formally recognised by NZQA and will provide a good grounding for participants to complete more advanced health and safety qualifications.
- $380.75 + GST per person
Paid leave to complete health and safety representative training is built into the Health and Safety at Work Act 2016 legislation. This leave entitlement also includes undertaking online courses. Book a course today.
Why choose Besafe Training?
Besafe Training is a category 1 education provider. In our review by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), we received the highest possible grade. We were found to be:
- Highly confident in educational performance
- Highly confident in capability in self-assessment
For our health and safety short courses, our performance was rated as excellent.
A survey of our learners in 2018 found that:
- after attending Besafe health and safety training, 93% reported a positive attitude and agreed that courses were useful to keep and maintain health and safety in their workplaces
- after attending Besafe health and safety training, 97% noted valuable learnings they could implement immediately in their work environment
- 98% would like to attend more health and safety courses to gain the knowledge to work safely within their workplace.
Besafe Training Ltd is a Private Training Establishment (PTE) based in Rosedale, on Auckland’s North Shore. Besafe delivers a wide range of one-two day full unit standard courses and refresher courses either in-house for client organisations, or as public courses. To organise a health and safety representative training course call us on 0800 333 899.
An effective health and safety culture for New Zealand
Developing a thorough and effective health and safety culture in New Zealand workplaces is critical. To support business in the training of their Health and Safety Representatives, Besafe Training offers Health and Safety Representative – Initial Training course programmes at our training centres and online. Delivering the Initial Health and Safety Representative Training course online means workers now have another quality option from among our existing training structure. If you’d like to know more about our health and safety, NZQA registered courses, get in touch today.